Composition: From Snapshots to Great Shots
Now that you’ve bought that amazing new DSLR, you need a book that goes beyond the camera manual to teach you how to take those great shots. One key element is composition—the creative arrangement of components in the shot, and the way a viewer’s eye travels through an image.
With Composition: From Snapshots to Great Shots, author and photographer Laurie Excell starts with the basics of composition and explores how the elements of color, shape, angles, and contrast work to create compelling images.
- Key camera features that affect composition, including the exposure triangle (ISO, aperture, and shutter speed)
- Shadow and light and how to direct the viewer’s eye to your subject
- Lines and shapes that create visual paths to points of interest in your image
- The role of color—using complementary or contrasting colors—to add your own unique artistic expression
- Spatial relationship and placing your subject within the frame for portraits, action shots, or landscapes
Wildlife Photography: From Snapshots to Great Shots
In Wildlife Photography: From Snapshots to Great Shots, author and wildlife photographer Laurie Excell shows you how to get the best shots of birds, bears, and bugs–whether you’re on safari, on vacation, or on a nature walk around your own backyard.
Starting with the basics of equipment, camera settings, and exposure, Laurie covers the fundamentals of lighting and composition in capturing (in-camera!) a menagerie’s worth of animals, with a particular focus on mammals and birds. The book is packed with details on what seasons are best for photographing different animals, tips on the best locations to photograph them, and techniques for how to approach even the wiliest subjects.
Beautifully illustrated with large, vibrant photos, this book teaches you how to take control of your photography to get the wildlife photo you want every time you pick up the camera.
Follow along with your friendly and knowledgeable guide, photographer and author Laurie Excell, and you will:
- Use your camera’s settings to gain full control over the look and feel of your images
- Master the photographic basics of composition, focus, depth of field, and much more
- Get tips on research, including field ethics and the best locations for photographing your subjects
- Learn key techniques for photographing various animals, such as how to approach your subject without disturbing it and how to interpret behavior so that you can anticipate action
- Fully grasp all the concepts and techniques as you go, with assignments at the end of every chapter